Saturday 24 September 2011

C.H.E.K. Personal Training Course NYC

In July Sam and I attended the CHEK Exercise Coach course in NYC

I have always been a big fan of Paul Cheks training methods, and after doing numerous correspondance courses it was great to actually study with the institute hands-on. Of course, its also great to meet like-minded people who enjoy furthering their knowledge of human movement. They say the human body is more complex than a rocket ship so it would be naive to believe we understand all there is about the body in regards to fitness in a 5day personal training course or even 4 years at university for that matter.

The best thing about studying about the body is not only to improve my teaching abilities but to increase awareness of my own body and how it works; after all, I am stuck in this thing for 24HRS a day for the rest of my life so I might as well learn how to look after it! Of course it also allows me to apply my new found knowledge at any time.

Paul CHEK has written what I believe is one of the best books on overall health and movement called: How to eat, move and be healthy
This is a must read for anyone who lives in a body and wants to know how it works and how to properly care for it!! Its easy to follow (dont need an anatomy degree) and has some very practical questionnaires with corresponding exercise, nutrition and lifestyle tips.

Back to the NY CHEK course: the 5 day (10+hrs a day) was definitely worth the 12hr trip! A lot of it was revision but it did answer a few questions I had in regards to postural assessments etc: Like how can someones pelvis be tilting forward when they seemingly have a flat back posture?? and also armed me with some news assessment tools that I have been trying out on my clients (my favorite being the "ice-picks").

It was also my first trip to the big apple which was awesome! Miki came over with me and we got to spend time in the city shopping (so cheap!!) and going to shows, followed by a visit to our friends home Flavia & Enrico in the Hampton`s for some R&R.

I am definitely looking forward to the next CHEK course,  just have to once again pick a great location and sneak in another little holiday:-)
 
Nathan
Tokyo Fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment